Wednesday, December 5, 2007

A Solution to Healing Back Problems

A Solution to Healing Back Problems

by Brian Garvin

If you are reading this article for Golden Prose, you are reading the wrong article. I'm publishing this report about my back problem, in hopes that it might perhaps reach someone else who can benefit from it. If this article can just reach one person and help them, I have succeeded in my Mission.

I originally injured my back on a parachute jump in the United States Marine Corps. I was stationed at Camp Pendleton for the entire duration of my 4 year active duty enlistment in the Marines. To make a long story short, I was almost completely bedridden for 7 years after the injury. Life was no picnic after being discharged from the Marines.

Before I inform you on how I was able to overcome this 7 year nightmare which haunted me from age 21-29, please allow me to inform you of some of my symptoms.

Here were some of my symptoms:

1. I was almost completely bedridden. I couldn't sit up for more than 20 minutes, much less work at even a sit down job, not to mention a job requiring physical labor.

2. I had muscle spasms in the very lower part of my back half the size of a tennis ball. There was never any relief, and it was constant pain.

3.My hip, and other spinal joints were slipping out of place at least 3 times a week.

Keep in mind, that through all this agony, I NEVER had surgery. This is probably what saved me. I highly recommend that you explore every alternative before committing to surgery, especially invasive surgery.

Anyway, my problem in my back was all muscle. There were other problems, but they weren't causing any of the pain that the muscle spasms were causing.

One day, I decided to do something about it. If I never made this decision, I wouldn't have been able to create Reprints Galore, and run this successful business. Also, I would have either committed suicide because of the pain, or been dead within a few years just withering away.

Note: I moved up every 2 weeks, no matter how hard it hurt. What's so great, is I've moved up every 2 weeks for 9 months now! Move ups are easier now, than when I started, even though I'm walking a whole lot more!! My problem required a lot of emotional support from my family, a lot of patience on my part, and me tuning out Gym member's that tried to start general conversations with me. I didn't want to talk to them, I was here for business!

Here's the routine I've been following that slowly got my back to functioning almost normally.

Treadmill:

Move-Up

Speed

Elevation

Time on Treadmill

1

1.8

0.0

10min.

2

2.0

0.0

10min

3.

2.2

0.0

10min.

4

2.4

0.0

10min.

5

2.4

0.5

10min.

6

2.4

1.0

10min.

7

2.4

1.0

15min.

8

2.4

1.0

20min.

9

2.4

1.0

25min.

10

2.4

1.0

30min

11

2.4

1.0

35min.

12.

2.4

1.0

40min

13.

2.4

1.0

45min

14.

2.4

1.0

50min

15.

2.4

1.0

55min.

16.

2.4

1.0

1hr

17.

2.4

1.0

1hr. 5min.

18.

2.4

1.0

1hr. 10min.

19.

2.4

1.0

1hr. 15min.

20.

2.4

1.0

1hr. 20min.

21.

2.4

1.0

1hr.25min.

22.

2.4

1.0

1hr. 30min.

23.

2.4

1.0

1hr. 35min.

24.

2.4

1.0

1hr. 40min.

25.

2.4

1.0

1hr. 45min.

26.

2.4

1.0

1hr. 50min.

27.

2.4

1.0

1hr. 55min.

28.

2.4

1.0

2hrs.

29.

2.4

1.5

2hrs.

30.

2.4

2.0

2hrs.

31.

2.4

2.5

2hrs.

See? All those little successes added up to one big success... The ability for me to function better. Now I'm walking almost 5 miles (easier than one third of one mile was before), and I plan to continue increasing elevation and speed. I also perform leg presses and bench presses, but only as I feel up to it. I don't push it too hard, and listen carefully to my body. I plan on moving up until my elevation gets to 4.0, and my speed gets to 4.0. This will be the equivalent of walking up a hill for 8 miles. Not bad for someone that was bedridden for the majority of his 20's, huh??

The entire time I have been working this program, my back has been slipping out of place. I have a chiropractor that I see once every few weeks, that puts it back in place. Listen to this: before I started my walking program, I use to see him 3 times a week!

If you think about it, the number of times I see him now (less than before), is directly proportional to how far I'm walking.

In other words...

1. ;I use to walk only one third of a mile, and use to see him 3 times weekly, to adjust my spine.

2. ;Now I walk 4.8 miles, and see him once every 3 weeks.

The farther I walk, the less I depend on him, and gain a feeling of more independence. The positive routing just cycles itself. This is not true only in healing, but in anything you do. If you take small steps in any endeavor you choose to succeed at, next thing you know you have climbed a mountain!

The most important aspect of succeeding in this walking program is just to STICK WITH IT! Sometimes you'll feel like your body isn't responding, but it's just playing tricks on you. I even started getting blisters after walking 2 miles, but they just went away. Never Quit!! I can't overemphasize this enough..

With any type of physical training regimen, one should consult with a doctor before attempting this, or anything similar to this. Even back problems are different for everyone. If you have spasms in your lower back however, I would advise highly that you give this a try. You have absolutely nothing to lose, and everything to gain.

Here's an update to all the above (I'm writing this 9 months later). I've quit walking and started riding my bicycle. I've been riding my bicycle the last nine months about 3 times per week. I really had to push myself for the first 6 or so, but now it's natural. I guess my muscles have strengthened enough to hold myself in place. Within that time frame, my muscle spasms have disappeared an I've made 100% recovery.

I did this by going to a Chiropracter that specializes in the Gonstead Method of healing. You should find a Chiropracter in your area that specializes in this by visiting the following website:

http://www.gonstead.com

Also, I stuck with a physical routine and never quit even when I felt like staying inside. Finally, I kept the faith.

I hope someone can benefit from this report.

Best regards in your healing efforts!

**********************************************************************

Copyright 1999, Brian Garvin, all rights reserved.

This document may be reproduced for profit without permission, as long as not one word is changed, including contact and copyrighted information listed between these asterics. This article may also be used by anyone in the medical field for the purpose of continuing research, as long as they state my contact information at the bottom of the article.

Garvinweb PO Box 903 Oceanside, CA. 92049

or visit our Web-Site at:

http://www.garvinweb.com

info@garvinweb.com

***********************************************************************


No comments: